Sikkim is one of the best place to visit post COVID19 and relax. There are many offbeat destinations in Sikkim which is mesmerising and breathtaking. Below are the content of top 10 offbeat destinations.
Welcome to the enchanting land of Sikkim, nestled in the lap of the mighty Himalayas in northeastern India. While Sikkim is renowned for its breathtaking landscapes, serene monasteries, and popular tourist spots like Gangtok, Pelling, and Tsomgo Lake, there are also numerous offbeat destinations waiting to be explored by adventurous travelers. These hidden gems offer a unique and authentic experience, away from the crowds, allowing you to immerse yourself in the pristine beauty and cultural richness of this Himalayan paradise. From secluded valleys and sacred caves to ancient monasteries and cascading waterfalls, Sikkim’s offbeat places promise a journey that unveils the lesser-known aspects of this remarkable destination. So, pack your bags, leave the beaten path behind, and embark on an extraordinary adventure through the offbeat places of Sikkim.
Dzongu Valley – Sikkim’s hidden treasure
Dzongu Valley, nestled in North Sikkim, is inhabited by the Lepcha tribe and provides breathtaking views of the mighty Kanchenjunga from a cluster of villages that occupy this valley. The air is calm and unhurried which lends a dreamlike setting to the brilliant play of the clouds in the sky.
The thick canopy of jungles reverberates with the chirping of birds and serenity of the surrounding atmosphere is difficult to ignore.
This valley is located at a distance of close to 20-25 km from the town of Mangan and requires a permit for tourists. From Gangtok There are some homestays in this valley. With the family as the centerpiece of the Lepcha tribe, every activity of village folks revolves around the well-being of their family. The huge dining hall cum kitchen made out of wood serves as a place to mingle and talk, while the bedrooms are extremely warm and cozy like most other cold places.
ALSO READ >> Things to Do in Sikkim
Local Places to visit in Dzongu
- Lingzya Falls
- Tholung Monastery
- Kusheong Valley
- Passindang Village
- Mamtam Lake
How to Reach Dzongu
Distance from Siliguri to Dzongu is around 150 km. Which takes around 5-6 hr. And you can visit this place through out the year.
Chalamthang – South Sikkim
It is a small and well-equipped village in South Sikkim. The word ‘chalamthang’ in the local Lepcha language means orange orchard. One of the cleanest organic villages in Sikkim. You can spend two days in this village to get a taste of the absolute beauty of nature. The distant view of the mountains from the homestay and the taste of local food will bring you a heavenly feeling. You have to walk around most of this village.
Basically, Chalamthang is for those who want to see nature up close, those who want to drink the silence of nature like a blue throat. Lost in the pine forest or a short trek, you can enjoy the fresh vegetable cooking of the village in this beautiful village. However, non-vegetarian food cannot be eaten in this homestay, even if the whole meal is vegetarian, it is incomparable in terms of cooking quality.
Places to visit near Chalamthang
- Namchi Chardham
- Sampadrupse Monastery
- Temi Tea Garden
- Tendong Bio Diversity Park & more.
How to reach Chalamthang?
You can come back day by day. You must also see the wire. On a 10,000-foot-long mountain slope, a narrow spiral path runs along the middle. From where you can see Rangit and Teesta rivers.From New Jalpaiguri. Its around 100 Kms.
Homestay rates in Chalamthang?
Per day meal charges 1650/- per person , veg food only
Gyangchung – South Sikkim
Sikkim means mystery. No, this mystery is not about murder or robbery, about finding the hidden treasure of nature. So, even though the mystery of Felu Mitti’s ‘Gangtake Gandgol’ has been solved, the travelers have not been able to find the green treasure of nature by solving the mystery of Gyangchung. Writing a letter to a new address, the postman came looking for this small dormitory in South Sikkim.
On the one hand, the magnificent beauty of Kanchenjunga, on the other hand, the vast tea garden wrapped in green on the hillside, the call of various birds and the quiet nature. This decoration is further enhanced in winter when the garden occasionally blooms with cherry blossom flowers. And if you have a loved one with you, your holiday mood will increase several times. Seeing the sunrise from the homestay, your travel experience can be an absolute gain. Homestay’s delicious foods and warm hospitality will give you some warm memories to cherish forever. By taking a morning walk along the village road, you will be accompanied by the fragrance of the mountains and all the mysterious lovers of the natural nature. All in all, the winding mountain path of Gyangchung and the mystery of the green-wrapped mountains are still noisy, you can come once more in search of the mystery to get closer to the open nature.
ALSO READ >> Triveni River Side Camping
Places to visit near Gyangchung
- Temi Tea Garden
- Sampadrupse Monastery
- Namchi Chardham
- Namchi Ropeway
- Rock Garden
- Ravangla Buddha Park.
However, this village will be the best address for those travelers who do not like the crowds of tourist spots, the rush of sightseeing, just want to experience the solitude of nature.
How to reach Gyangchung?
The distance from New Jalpaiguri to Gyangchung is 125 km. Approximately small car fare is 4000/-, big car 5000/-. Distance from Ravangla is 23 km.
Cost of Homestay in Gyangchung
Rs. 1500 / – per person per day including all meals.
ALSO READ >> TOP 10 HOMESTAY IN SIKKIM 2022
Yuksom – West Sikkim
If there is any place on earth where one can see “heaven,” then it has to be Yuksom.33 kms from Pelling, Yuksom, literally meaning the ‘meeting place of three lamas’ is of great historical importance to the Sikkimese. Formally referred to as the ‘Gateway to Kangchendzongha’ and a Base for Famous Goechala Trek .
Yuksom is consecrated by the presence of majestic snow peaked mountains, monasteries, etc. Yuksom was the ancient capital of Sikkim, and also holds the tag of being a sacred site, symbolically representing the “third eye of Sikkim”. 2 km uphill from Yuksum is Dubdi monastery, the oldest in Sikkim. The monastery has now been declared a National Monument and is under the protection of the Archaeological Survey of India Yuksum today is an attractive tourist destination offering various stay options for the visitors including village home stays, where you can stay as part of a local family and imbibe the real Sikkimese way of life.
Places to visit in Yuksom
- Tashi Tenka Monastery
- Tashiding Monastery
- Dubdi Monastery
- Kanchanjunga National Park
- Coronation Throne Of Norbungang
- Kortak Monastery
- Gochela Trek
- Dzongri Trek
ALSO READ >> Goechala Trekking starting from Rs.13000/- pp
How to reach Yuksom?
By Road – Hire a cab from Siliguri which take almost 6-7 hr drive or Take a shared cab.
It is hard to find shared cabs that go directly to Yuksom from Siliguri Junction. A more preferred route is to take a shared cab to Jorethang from Siliguri Junction. From Jorethang, you will get plenty of shared cabs to Yuksom.
By Air – Bagdogra airport, Siliguri is the nearest airport although Sikkim now has it’s own airport but it’s less function due to hilly weather .
Homestay Charges in Yuksom
PER HEAD -Rs.1400 per night with meal.
Rinchenpong – West Sikkim
Nestled amidst the lush green mountains of West Sikkim, Rinchenpong stands as a serene retreat for those seeking solace and natural beauty. This hidden gem of a destination offers a perfect blend of breathtaking landscapes, cultural heritage, and tranquil ambiance. In this blog, we invite you to explore the wonders of Rinchenpong tourism and discover why this offbeat destination should be on every traveler’s radar.
Local Places to Visit in Rinchenpong:
- Pang Lhabsol Ground: Rinchenpong hosts the annual Pang Lhabsol festival, a vibrant celebration of Sikkimese culture and traditions. Experience colorful masked dances, music performances, and local cuisine during this festive extravaganza.
- Rinchenpong View Point: Trek up to the viewpoint and be rewarded with a panoramic vista of Mt. Kanchenjunga, Kabru, and other snow-clad peaks. Bask in the tranquility of the surroundings and capture postcard-perfect moments.
- Rinchenpong Orchid Sanctuary: Nature enthusiasts will be delighted to explore the Rinchenpong Orchid Sanctuary, home to a wide variety of rare and exotic orchids. Marvel at the vibrant blooms and learn about the conservation efforts in place.
- Rinchenpong Monastery: The quaint village is home to Rinchenpong Monastery, a centuries-old Buddhist monastery. Immerse yourself in the peaceful ambiance as you explore the intricate murals, prayer wheels, and the sacred sanctum of this spiritual haven.
- Resum Monastery: A short hike from Rinchenpong will lead you to Resum Monastery, hidden amidst lush greenery. The monastery offers panoramic views of the surrounding valleys and snow-clad peaks, making it a photographer’s delight.
- Kaluk: Located a few kilometers from Rinchenpong, Kaluk is a charming hamlet with terraced fields, orange orchards, and traditional Sikkimese houses. Take a leisurely walk through the village, interact with the friendly locals, and savor the stunning views of Mt. Kanchenjunga.
- Ribdi: Situated on the banks of the picturesque Rangeet River, Ribdi is known for its serene ambiance and panoramic vistas. Visit the Ribdi Suspension Bridge, explore the nearby forests, and indulge in a picnic by the riverside.
How to Reach Rinchenpong:
By Air: The nearest airport to Rinchenpong is Bagdogra Airport in West Bengal, which is well-connected to major Indian cities. From the airport, you can hire a taxi or take a shared cab to Rinchenpong.
By Train: The nearest railway station is New Jalpaiguri (NJP), located in Siliguri. From NJP, you can hire a cab or board a shared taxi to Rinchenpong.
By Road: Rinchenpong is well-connected by road. You can either hire a private vehicle or take a shared taxi from nearby towns like Pelling, Gangtok, or Kalimpong.
Activities and things to do in Rinchenpong
When visiting Rinchenpong, there are several activities and things to do that will enhance your experience and allow you to make the most of your time in this serene destination. Here are some of the top activities and things to do in Rinchenpong:
- Visit Rinchenpong Monastery: Explore the ancient Rinchenpong Monastery perched on a hilltop. Marvel at the intricate murals, spin the prayer wheels, and soak in the peaceful ambiance of this spiritual haven.
- Hike to Resum Monastery: Embark on a scenic hike to Resum Monastery, hidden amidst lush greenery. Enjoy the panoramic views of the surrounding valleys and mountains along the way and immerse yourself in the tranquility of the monastery.
- Take Nature Walks: Rinchenpong is blessed with natural beauty, and taking leisurely walks along the village trails allows you to soak in the serenity of the surroundings. Explore the forests, admire the terraced fields, and connect with the sights and sounds of nature.
- Birdwatching: Rinchenpong is a paradise for birdwatchers. Grab your binoculars and venture into the forests to spot a variety of avian species, including colorful Himalayan birds like the verditer flycatcher, sunbirds, and laughing thrushes.
- Visit Ribdi Suspension Bridge: A short distance from Rinchenpong lies Ribdi, where you can visit the famous Ribdi Suspension Bridge. Take a leisurely stroll across the bridge, enjoy the scenic views of the Rangeet River, and savor a picnic by its banks.
- Attend the Pang Lhabsol Festival: If you’re fortunate to visit Rinchenpong during the Pang Lhabsol Festival, don’t miss the opportunity to witness this vibrant celebration of Sikkimese culture and traditions. Experience the colorful masked dances, music performances, and taste traditional cuisine during this festive extravaganza.
- Enjoy Sunrise and Sunset Views: Rinchenpong offers breathtaking views of the sunrise and sunset against the backdrop of the Himalayas. Wake up early to witness the golden hues of the rising sun or find a peaceful spot to witness the mesmerizing colors of the sunset painting the sky.
- Experience a Homestay: To truly immerse yourself in the local culture, consider opting for a homestay experience. Stay with a local family, engage in conversations, and savor authentic Sikkimese cuisine. This allows you to gain insights into the traditions, customs, and way of life of the villagers.
- Explore Nearby Villages: Rinchenpong serves as a gateway to other charming villages in the region. Take the opportunity to explore nearby places like Kaluk, Hee Bermiok, and Uttarey, which offer their own unique attractions and experiences.
- Relax and Rejuvenate: Finally, don’t forget to simply relax and soak in the peaceful ambiance of Rinchenpong. Find a scenic spot, read a book, meditate, or simply enjoy the tranquility that surrounds you.
Chakung – West Sikkim
Chakung is a virgin land for guest to explore, nestled in hills strewn with lush green and breathtaking landscape with wide range of forest covers. The traveller or passers by are always awe stricken because of its landscape that face with the wide range of majestic kanchenjunga bestow Chakung with fresh and cool breeze. Chakung is an impossibly beautiful village surrounded by pine hills in West Sikkim. The uninhabited birds of the Himalayas wake you up in the primitive green village of peace. At least Take a two- or three-day vacation to visit this cloud mountain country.If you are a person bored of the humdrum of the flat schedule and concert jungle then gift your body and soul this long deserved break and get drenched into the colors, nature has to offer. Chakung surely promises you a rejuvenating soul on your way back.
Accommodation in Chakung
There are Few Homestays for your leisure accomodation, rooms of this Homestays are well furnished with all modern amenities. Most of these Homestays have Mt.Kanchenjunga facing rooms price starting with Rs -1500/- per head with all meals .
Things To Do in Chakung
Chakung is place for a bird watcher and adventure seeker moreover for a nature lover.
- Birding-Chakung is known for its great variety of Himalayan birds.
- Hiking – a)Pine Firest (3km/1-1.5 hrs) b)Watch Tower (Durpenay Dara) (3km/ 1-1.5hrs )
- Mountain Biking – Satiate The Adrenaline Rush.
- Paragliding – Feel Like You Are On Top Of The World.
- Camping -nurture you adventure spirit.
- Star Gazing -Enjoy a campfire with or without Barbeque at the Homestay’s lawn under the clear night sky and give yourself the thrill of star-gazing.
- Aganay Dara -Last But not the least visit famous Agany Dara to get the view of Namchi , Darjeeling , Kalimpong , Mt.Kanchenjunga, Jorethang , Ranjeet valley , Wide blue sky form one place .
Best Time to Visit Chakung
You can visit Chakung throughout the year but if you are not comfortable with unexpected shower then plan your trip before or after monsoon.-September to April is the best time to visit .
How to Reach Chakung?
One can avail Air/Road/Train to reach Chakung.
- By Air: Pakyong Airport of Sikkim is the nearest. Private Vehicles are easily available for hire. It’s 80 km and takes 2.5-3hr to reach the Chakung from Pakyong airport. Or Bagdogra Airport is also the next best option.
- By Railways: NJP (94 kms) in Siliguri is the nearest Rail station. And can take up to 2.5-3 hours by road to reach the Chakung.
- By Road: A shared car from NJP or Siliguri (132 kms) heading towards Soreng and then drop at Chakung or reserved a car directly from Siliguri . Note -Cab can be arranged from the homestay as well.
Homestay Rates and Tariff in Chakung
- Homestay – Rs1500 -2000/-PP-1N/1D (Including all meal )
- Camping -Rs 1500 PP-1N/1D (Meals /Tents/sleeping materials )
- Hiking -Rs 1000 (For the guide)
Rolep – East Sikkim
Rolep is beautiful river side village in east Sikkim. It is a part of old silk route which is connected to China through nathula pass.This village is inhabitant by mixed indigenous community like Gurung, Bhutia , Sherpa , Chettri and Rai which makes this place rich in Tradition , culture and religion. If you are a person bored of the humdrum of the flat schedule and concert jungle then gift your body and soul this long deserved break and get drenched into the colors, nature has to offer. Rolep surely promises you a rejuvenating soul on your way back.This place is paradise for bird watcher , Adventure and peace seeker.
Accommodation in Rolep
we have two wooden cozy well furnished cottages for the accomodation, rooms of this property are made up of local wood and bamboos in a traditional Sikkimese way offering you with all modern amenities. Each rooms can accommodate 4 people .The location of the property is in the center of the valley with a river flowing nearby.
Check in: 12:00 P.MCheck out: 11:00 A.M
Outdoor Activities in Rolep
As we mentioned above that this place is paradise for Birdwatchers and adventure lover –
- Rolep is known for its great variety of Himalayan birds.
- You can go for hiking – a)Natural cave (11km/5-6 hrs) b)Jungle waterfall (7km/ 3-4 hrs )
- Indulge yourself in that magical experience of fishing in Rangpo River.
- Sleep in Tent to nurture you adventure spirit.
- Enjoy a campfire with or without Barbeque at the property’s lawn under the clear night sky and give yourself the thrill of star-gazing.
Nearby Attractions in Rolep
- Explore the 45 foot high Buddha waterfall also known as double decker waterfall.
- Visit the Shokey Khola River and enjoy a 360-degree view of the magnificent Rolep valley.
- Get yourself a Hot Stone Bath and enjoy the scenic beauty of Dekiling Monastery.
- Rolep is a gateway of various high mountain altitude treks like Padmachen, Zuluk, and Nathang.
- Visit the boot-figured Aritar Lake situated in Lampokhari.
Best Time to Visit Rolep
You can visit Rolep throughout the year but if you are not comfortable with unexpected rain then plan your trip before or after monsoon.September to April is the best time to visit .How to Reach:
How to Reach Rolep?
By Air: Pakyong Airport of Sikkim is the nearest. Private Vehicles are easily available for hire. It takes 36 km and takes 1.5hr to reach the property from Pakyong airport.Or Bagdogra Airport is also the next best option.
By Railways: NJP (137.4 kms) in Siliguri is the nearest Rail station. And can take up to 3.5-4 hours by road to reach the property.3.By Road: A shared car from NJP or Siliguri (132 kms) heading towards Gangtok and then drop at Rangpo from there reserved a car or take a shared cab to reach the property .
NOTE -Cab can be arranged from the property as well.
Homestay rates & Tariff in Rolep
- Homestay – Rs1500 PP-1N/1D (Including all meal )
- Camping -Rs 1500 PP-1N/1D (Meals /Tents/sleeping materials )
- Hiking -Rs 1000 (For the guide )
Singhik – North Sikkim
Singhik is a tiny settlement on a hill of North Sikkim, around 1,560m above sea level, and considered to be the most popular viewpoint that offers the splendid and obstructed view of Mt. Kanchenjunga and Mt. Siniolchu. It is situated at a distance of 4kms away from Mangan, the district headquarters and about 62kms away from Gangtok. The surrounding lush green hills with higher ridges provides the rewarding view of the converging point of River Teesta and River Kanaka at the foot hills.
It is an offbeat destination, which offers two thrilling short day trek routes, that is Jhandi viewpoint and Tosha Lake trek. The ancient Tensong Monastery Singhik and the traditional Lepcha houses located in a picturesque setting with beautiful views around can be reached enjoying the beautiful trails trapped in nature.And this is where we found our new homestay. There are lots of people who are still confused about Homestays and hotels and I am sure this homestay surely gonna clear the picture of homestay for you.
How to Reach Singhik?
Singhik is 114 km from Siliguri and takes anywhere between 4-5 hrs to reach depending on the conditions of the road and the weather. A cab(like Xylo and Innova )will take you anywhere between INR 5000-6500. Car rental from Gangtok is Rs.3000-3500.
Best Time to visit Sihghik?
Ahh! You can visit Singhik thought out the year.
What to Do in Singhik?
You can do many things like short hiking , village walk , birding , wild orchid hunting , camping. You can visit to nearby famous Teesta river for fun fishing , You can sit and stare the Mt.Kanchenjunga with hot cup of tea.
Homestay Tariff & Rates in Singhik?
We have two types of rooms
- For Normal Rooms – Rs -1600 per head -1D/1N(Including all meals)
- For Luxury Rooms -Rs -2000 per head -1N/1D(Including all meals )
Okhrey – West Sikkim
Okhrey is one of Sikkim’s hidden gems, an offbeat location not frequented by many. It is a perfect hideout from your none stop hustle and bustle lifestyle . Spend a day or week here, or you can also stay here for workcation. This place is famous for many reasons like View of Mt.kanchenjung , birding , village walk , beautiful landscape , snowfall, dawn and dusk ,mesmerising climate ,and many more.
India’s only Rhododendron sanctuary is few kilometers away from Okhrey where you can see beautiful Red, Pink, and white colours mix forest .You can also trek around the countryside and learn more about the local lifestyle. Perhaps you might want to check out how rhododendron wine is made or what significance does the rhododendron flower have for the locals. Or, maybe you want to get your hands dirty and try farming. For the curious, these little mountain hamlets are books waiting to be read!
What is the best Time to visit Okhrey?
Mid-March to May is the time when the rhododendrons bloom. Most visitors arrive during these months to hike in the sanctuary. The weather is cool and clear with daytime temperatures hovering between 12°C and 20°C. From August to December, the weather is pleasant and the skies are bright and sunny and on a lucky day, you’ll be rewarded with dazzling views of Khangchendzonga. Winter is harsh with occasional snowfall in January and February. The roads remain open and if you are determined to brave the Himalayan chill, visit in the winter.
How to Reach Okhrey?
Okhrey is 130 km from Siliguri and takes anywhere between 5-7 hrs to reach depending on the conditions of the road and the weather. A cab will take you anywhere between INR Rs.5000-6500.
Rates & Tariff of Homestay in Okhrey
Rs-1000 /- per head Per night including meals
Yangsum Village – West Sikkim
Yangsum village is small hamlet nestled in the lap of Rinchenpong at an altitude of 4900 ft is one of the Sikkim’s hidden village , an offbeat location not frequented by many explorer .It is a perfect hideout from your none stop hustle and bustle lifestyle . Spend a day or week here, or you can also stay here for workcation or longstay. This place is famous for many reasons like View of closer and clear view of Mt.kanchenjung , birding & butterflies , village walk , beautiful landscape, ,mesmerising climate ,and many more.
This place is inhabitant by mix community mainly Limboo, Rai and Gurung so You may get to learn so many cultural and traditional things of different community in this village. People of this village are mainly into farming for their livelihood perhaps you might want to get your hands dirty and try farming .You can also trek around the countryside and learn more about the local lifestyle. For the curious, these little mountain hamlets are books waiting to be read!
Best Time to Visit Yangsum
Fortunately there is no specific time to visit this place but if your not comfortable with unexpected rain and thunderstorms the best time we would like to recommend you is before and after monsoon.From August to may , the weather is pleasant and the skies are bright and sunny and on a lucky day, you’ll be rewarded with dazzling views of Mighty Mt.Khangchendzonga. The roads remain open through out the year and if you are determined to brave the Himalayan chill, visit in the winter.
Things to Do in Yangsum?
- Hiking -Life is all about ups and downs but you got to moving.
- Camping -Try living even more close to nature.
- Village walk -Go out and make some padahi friends.
- Tongba -Try some local beverage .
- Birding – experience the realness.
- Monasteries -Visit the one of the oldest monastery and make some wish.
How to Reach Yangsum?
Yangsum is 120 km from Siliguri and takes anywhere between 3-4 hrs to reach depending on the conditions of the road and the weather. A cab will take you anywhere between INR 4500-5500.
- Total no.of Rooms -04.
- No.of people can accommodate -15 heads
- Foods -Veg and Non-Veg (Both available )
- Rates -1500 per head (1N/1D) Including all three meals.